Adelaide Casino Planned AU$330-Million Expansion to Start in June

Today, the Premier of South Australia, Steven Marshall announced some development plans for the Adelaide Casino upgrade. Mr. Marshall revealed that construction is set to begin in June and will be carried out at the price of AU$330 million.

As revealed by the Premier, it is SkyCity Entertainment Group that has signed a construction deal with Hansen Yuncken, an Australian commercial construction company, in order to complete the expansion of the Adelaide Casino. Hansen Yunken was already involved in the initial scoping and development of the casino back in 1985. Now, the construction works are expected to create approximately 1,000 jobs, while the project itself would create 800 permanent jobs upon completion.

The casino expansion is planned to include a 123-room hotel, as well as cafés and a day spa. The major construction works are set to be given a start in June, with completion expected over the first half of 2021.

Mr. Marshall commented on the casino expansion for the press, saying that the project would be beneficial for the future growth of the region’s economy. He further explained that the Adelaide Casino upgrade would provide the region with better infrastructure to become more attractive to customers from other regions in the country and from around the world. The Premier of South Australia described the project as a monumental one for both the city and the gambling operator itself.

Adelaide Casino to Create Jobs and Attract Visitors

As mentioned above, the Adelaide Casino expansion project has a budget of approximately AU$330 million, with about 90% of these costs being fixed, while the remaining 10% include provisional sums for a variety of items such as fixtures, equipment, furniture, etc.

The announced budget of AU$330 million also includes significant expanded gaming and entertainment facilities, a 123-room hotel, bars, cafés and restaurants, as well as an enhanced façade which would be aimed at highlighting the heritage aspects of the building.

The operator which runs the Adelaide Casino – SkyCity Entertainment Group – commented on the expansion, saying that it remained confident in the project’s future and the fact that it would deliver an acceptable return on a later stage. As mentioned above, Premier Marshall also shared his belief that the expansion is to provide more jobs for local people and attract more interstate visitors and players from abroad.

As Casino Guardian has earlier reported, the Adelaide Casino was accused of leaving local problem gamblers to play for hours, with staff leaving unattended players who showed signs of risky gambling behaviour. A study, which was especially focused on the timing and response rate of automatic alerts, found that some players who had shown signs of gambling addiction were left to play the machines for more than eight hours.

  • Author
Daniel Williams

Daniel Williams

Daniel Williams has started his writing career as a freelance author at a local paper media. After working there for a couple of years and writing on various topics, he found his interest for the gambling industry.
Daniel Williams
Casino Guardian covers the latest news and events in the casino industry. Here you can also find extensive guides for roulette, slots, blackjack, video poker, and all live casino games as well as reviews of the most trusted UK online casinos and their mobile casino apps.

Related news